hope Patience will not divorce me – Jonathan

According To The Vanguard News President Goodluck Jonathan, Sunday,
expressed fears that his wife might divorce him
because of his decision to allow the just concluded
election go on to its logical conclusion without
interference.
Speaking at a thanksgiving and farewell service in
his honour at the Cathedral Church of the Advent
Life-Camp, Gwarinpa, Abuja, President Jonathan
cited the case of the former South African
Apartheid leader, F.W de Klerk whose wife
divorced him for ending minority rule in South
Africa.

President Jonathan who expressed appreciation to
Nigerians for giving him the opportunity to serve
at various capacities reiterated his willingness to
make the ultimate sacrifice in the interest of the
Nation.

He said: “I believe there are reasons for everything.
Some hard decisions have their own cost. That I
have ran the government this way that stabilized
certain things, the electoral process and other
things that brought stability into this country. They
were very costly decisions which I must be ready
to pay for.

“Some people come to me and say this or that
person, is he not your friend? Is it not your
government that this person benefited from? But
this is what the person is saying. But I used to
say, worse statements will come. If you take
certain decisions, you should know that those close
to you will even abandon you at some point. And I
tell them that more of my so-called friends will
disappear. When F.W de Klerk took the decision to
abolish minority rule in RSA, even his wife
divorced him. I hope my wife will not divorce me.
But that is the only decision that has made RSA to
still remain a global player. If we still had minority
rule there, by this time, nobody will be talking
about RSA.

“If you take certain decisions, it might be good for
the generality of the people but it might affect
people differently. So for ministers and aides who
served with me, I sympathize with them, they will
be persecuted. And they must be ready for that
persecution” he said.

While expressing appreciation to God for what he
has done for him and his family, President
Jonathan said he had all the reason to thank God.
“Very few of those in my age brackets have been
that lucky. All through my education were on
government scholarships.
I have not suffered lack, not because I’m hard-
working but by God’s grace.

“When I look at the whole picture of my life up to
when I became the president of this country. I say
that if soldiers and police officers that have not
received 0.5 per cent of the benefits that I have
received from the state can lay their lives for this
country, I should do anything in the interest of
Nigeria including paying the supreme price.
“As long as live, I will continue to do my best for
the state because the state has helped me as a
person.

“I have to thank Nigerians especially, my state for
giving me the opportunity to serve as deputy
governor, and the whole country gave me the
opportunity to serve as Vice President and then
President, first was to complete the tenure of the
late president and later serve as president from
which I am exiting now as a very happy and
fulfilled man”...

Speaking on his decision to concede defeat which
he said did not go down well with some of his
ministers and associates, President Jonathan noted
that the most important thing is that “the ordinary
people appreciate what we did.”

Your Comments Are What Shows Us How You Feel About The Topic. Join us on Facebook http://facebook.com/nigeriannewsreporters and Twitter @ngnewsreporters